Sunday, August 23, 2009

#2 ramadhan diary 09:flatfish


Flatfish, originally uploaded by Stenlund.

Wikipedia:

The flatfish are an order (Pleuronectiformes) of ray-finned fish, also called the Heterosomata, sometimes classified as a suborder of Perciformes. The name means "side-swimmers" in Greek. In many species both eyes lie on one side of the head, one or the other migrating through and around the head during development. Some species face their "left" side upward, some face their "right" side upward, and others face either side upward.

I was tempted to cook Steamed Fish for quite sometime. But it must not be any fish - not pomfret, not grouper, not even the regular sea bass. It must be the flatfish! Thanks to Kylie Kwong's cooking show, I had to forget my budget for a while:)

I went to the Pasar Besar Seremban to buy the ingredients. My plan was to prepare steamboat for the family because all my brothers were at home. However, when I came to think about the prices and the budgets,I have decided to share the cost with my brother once we'll get our pay:)

The market was crowded with people, but it was not as crowded as I expected. Perhaps the recent H1N1 case was keeping everyone at home (not me, of course because I need to keep on going, no choice!). The prices were high for meat and chicken and I was lucky that I was in the mood of finding sea creatures:)

It was not difficult to find the ingredients. I managed to find everything within 30 minutes. I believed this was the reason why I was so in love with Seremban - multiracial,easy and simple.

I seriously didn't know the origin of this recipe (ibu said it came from my aunt!) but this was how I did it:

Ingredients:

1 flatfish (medium size)
5cm ginger
7 cloves of garlic
Black pepper as preferred
3 tablespoon of oyster Sauce
1 tablespoon of dark Soy Sauce
2 tablespoon of soy Sauce
Spring Onions (cut into 3-4cm strips)
a carrot (cut into strips)
Dried Shitake Mushrooms (sliced)

Methods:
1. Clean the flatfish
2. Pound some of the ginger (approximately 1 cm) and 3 gloves of garlic in the mortar & pestle.
3. Rub the pounded ginger and garlic to the fish.
4. Rub the dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and soy sauce to the fish. Marinate.
5. Arrange the fish in the steamer along with carrots, mushrooms and the white part of spring onions.
6. Steam the fish until it is cooked.
7. Slice the ginger and chop the remaining garlics.
8. Prepare hot oil in the wok to fry the ginger and the garlic.
9. Once you can smell the aroma of the garlic and ginger and both ingredients turn into golden colour, pour the content of the wok on top of the steam fish. Sprinkle with green strips of spring onion.

* I love my green strips to be fresh as I love the crunch! But there is also an option to cook it along with the fish.

Done!

I served the steamed flatfish along with other dishes: Gulai Ketam dengan Nanas (care: aI'm using the Bahasa Melayu as it is a Malaysian dish! Nobody translated Fettucine Carbonara by the way), Broccoli and Carrots with Prawn & Mushroom Sauce and Yong Chow Fried Rice. I knew my brothers will eat this (even if they are canivorous!) Oh...don't forget the freshly made cincaluk. It's a must:)

I think I need to brush up my culinary skills! Ever since I worked for that milk company, I didn't even have time for myself (which in the end has not been appreciated, of course).

Shahmi bought tepung pelita and watermelon juice! Yeay! Perfect desert:)

* flatfish = ikan sebelah/ikan sisa nabi.

2 comments:

Quiyah said...

u make me drool.. aiyoh.. puasa, puasa..

cHeRyNa PiReS said...

hehehe...sowi Q...i'm drooling myself:P