Monday, August 24, 2009

#3 ramadhan diary 09: pomegranate


Pomegranate
Originally uploaded by rossstudio
Wikipedia:

The pomegranate (Punica granatum) is a fruit-bearing deciduous shrub or small tree growing to between five and eight meters tall. The pomegranate is native to Southwest Asia and has been cultivated in the Caucasus since ancient times. It is widely cultivated throughout Afghanistan, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Israel, Iran, Iraq, India, Pakistan, Syria, Turkey, the drier parts of southeast Asia, Peninsular Malaysia, the East Indies, and tropical Africa.[1] Introduced into Latin America and California by Spanish settlers in 1769, pomegranate is now cultivated in parts of California and Arizona for juice production.[2]

I'm getting 4 off days from The Coffee Shop due to fasting month but I'll be working until 12am this weekend. There are only few customers and since I'm doing part time, it is not a priority for the job to be given to me. However, I'm glad to take this opportunity to rest - something I have not been doing for the last 4 years:)

I guess I was too busy following the flow - one must graduate then climb the career ladder, then if you work in private sector during recession, please expect for the worse since your bosses will go for the fame and popularity and will treat you like a dog to make sure they will remain on board:)

I have no regret of whatever happened in my life recently. I know I have the support of my parents who were sacrificing throughout my time in the milk company - when they sent me for interviews, when ibu helped to choose my clothes to work, when they were only seeing me in the morning before I go to work, when they were concealing their disappointment for I couldn't join the family events, or when I disregarded the football matches to check on that stupid overtime because I brought my office work home...

I guess I should marry that guy in The Proposal - he will definitely understand how I felt about it (but I won't marry the disgusting boss, of course!) Or perhaps I should be the best friend of the girl in Devil Wears Prada (yeah..because I had to buy that Mr. Bean's CD without my first salary in my pocket!). But then again Glenn Close in Devil Wears Prada was intelligent and my mentor in the milk company was not....ahahahaha...

Today, I'm celebrating myself. I'm resting and writing. I didn't know I have so many things to tell:)

I had the best sahur this morning - Mushroom Omelet and Warm Rice (this is the type of food I like!) and pomegranate. I couldn't help thinking about my grandparents this Ramadhan (because Ramadhan was the time they indulged me). So, when I went to the market yesterday, I closed my eyes and buy a pomegranate which cost RM5! I recalled the times when nenek was peeling the pomegranates for me and forced me to eat it after eating rice during sahur. (I used to hate it!)

The Chinese lady who were selling the pomegranate told me to boil the pomegranate skin to cure gastric. I never told that lady that ibu has gastric, but I guess I should just try.

If my grandparents are still alive, I might be eating the pomegranates planted in their garden with nenek peeling the pomegranates for me after serving me with omelet and rice. Atuk will definitely rush me to perform the Subuh prayers afterward. But things are different now. I'm peeling the pomegranate for their daughter who is also my mother...

They have different views on how life should be. I know I'm missing these views.If they are still alive, my direction might be different. The flashes of my last conversation with Atuk before he passed away is now haunting me. He was concerned. I know I should be concerned too.

That's the reason why I keep on going...
Red for courage!
Just like a pomegranate...ehehehe...

3 comments:

Hanis Razak said...

hanis tak reti makan buah delima..banyak biji..susahlah..or sebenarnye orang makan dengan biji2nye sekali..hehehe..

kayteeze said...

Kak tie baru beli buah delima ni di pasor... adoi, mahal betul sebiji RM4. Katanya dari india. Terpaksa beli sebab teringin sangat nak makan.

cHeRyNa PiReS said...

hanis:
--> kalau hanis larat makan bijik, makanlah..tp sha buang je...lepas dah gigit ludah balik:P

kak tie:
--> sha kena rm5...diorg pon kate buah nieh buah import. tp nak makan jugak beli jelah...same macam kak tie:)