Tuesday, August 25, 2009

#4 ramadhan diary 09: garlic chives


Garlic chives, originally uploaded by NannaX3.

The day has already started badly when I woke up for sahur. Aston Villa was crushing Liverpool with 3 goals to 1 at Anfield! Adoiii...Torres got a shiner, Carragher was wearing a "head gear" and Voronin was playing. I was glad that Lucas didn't play the full game, otherwise I'll be in tantrum the whole day (this is a fasting month and that's not good).

But it's alright. A good fan will never give up. A good fan will keep on supporting her favourite team regardless how many goals scored in Anfield. I will never stop supporting my team. You'll never walk alone, Liverpool FC!:)


Wikipedia:

Garlic chives (simplified Chinese: ; traditional Chinese: ; pinyin: jiǔcài, also 韮菜) are also known as Chinese chives, Chinese leek, ku chai, jiu cai, Oriental garlic chives or, in Japanese, nira (kanji: ; hiragana: にら; katakana: ニラ); in Korea known as buchu (부추), sol (솔), or jeongguji (정구지) or in Vietnamese, hẹ ([hɛ̂ˀ]; chu Nom: ��). The plant has a distinctive growth habit with strap-shaped leaves[1] unlike either onion or garlic, and straight thin white-flowering stalks that are much taller than the leaves. It grows in slowly expanding perennial clumps, but also readily sprouts from seed. Besides its use as vegetable, it also has attractive flowers.

Garlic chives. If it's not because of the blog I will still called it "sayur". I wouldn't know the English name at all. It's good that we have wikipedia these days - I can't tell how convinient it is for me to refer about so many other things. If it is not because of wikipedia, I might have stopped blogging.

Based on the details I read in wikipedia, garlic chives are mostly available in Chinese/Japanese/Korean dish. I believe this is true as I never saw garlic chives in Malay market/dish. But there's no harm in trying right?

I accidently saw garlic chives when an Apek (chinese man) told me garlic chives are good for blood cleansing. After undergoing a surgery which cause me 2 months of sick leave, I was intrested in the benefit. I bought a bunch of garlic chives from the Apek and asked on how to cook it. The Apek told me to stir fry it with prawns/beef.

I searched for the recipe in the internet but I only found a few. I mean, this is not a very popular vegetable. Some might dislike the overpowering taste and smell of garlic. But that's the reason why I like it.

So, here's the recipe for the dish I cooked for buka puasa yesterday:

Stir-Fry Garlic Chives with Prawn

Ingredients:

1 bunch of garlic chives (cut into 4-5cm strips)
(available in chinese market/supermarket)
A carrot (cut into thin strips - almost the same length with the garlic chives for the same cooking time)
5 dried Shitake mushrooms (soaked in warm water and sliced)
7 medium-size prawns (clean with the tail intact)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2cm of young ginger (chopped)
4 tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of corn flour
1/4 cup of plain water

Methods:

1. Prepare a hot wok with vegetable oil.
2. Stir-fry garlics and ginger.
3. When you can smell the aroma, stir fry the prawn with garlics and ginger.
4. When the prawn is almost cooked, stir fry the garlic chives, Shitake Mushrooms and carrots together.
4. At the same time, mix the corn flour, oyster sauce and soy sauce in plain water.
5. Pour the flour and sauce mixture into the wok.
6. Wait for 1-2 minutes for the sauce to be thicken before serving the vegetables with rice.

Simple and easy.

Today will be a bit hectic. I'm planning to go out to get my EPF statement. I'm missing someone and he is not calling me this yesterday afternoon and this morning. Hmmmm...must be busy then. I have to be patient because this person has been very patient when I was busy:)

* Garlic chives in the picture are the blooming garlic chives. Refer wikipedia for more pictures and info.


3 comments:

Quiyah said...

wah..rajinnyer cik sha kiter ni memasak..

ai sempat masak masa sahur saje.. lepas tuh recycle lauk utk berbuka.. ahaks, jadila kan? nama pon org bujang..

smlm i balik lmbt sbb i balik ipoh, my train dr sana kul 9.45 pm, so train kan perjalanan die 3 jam, itu pon sampai kl pukul 1..

gedebuk gedebak, anta my friend balik umah die kat pantai dalam, barula i smp umah kul 1.30am.. mane tak lambat tuh.. kan last weekend da stat cuti sekolah? so tiket tu je yg tinggal.. kalo tak aku nak balik petang lagi dah..

♠ y.a.n.i.e putrajaya ♠ said...

>> sha.....mesti sedap kan sha masak
hehhehe

bila nak jemput yanie rasa...

kekkekkeke

cHeRyNa PiReS said...

Q:
---> penatnye aku dgr pasal train tuh...aku yg tunggu komuter nieh pon tensen...inikan plak tunggu train delay kan?

tak rajin la beb...just ade mase nieh aku masak la....kalo tak mane de mase kan?

yanie:
--> masak cincai2 pandailah...nak masak yg canggih2 tak pandai...yanie bile nak jupe sha...boleh sha masakkan...