Monday, November 30, 2009

orkid's cafe: ignoring the cleavage



I know you might think that I'm unstable.

I was hurt. Sorry for making a hasty decision last week. I found the comment was excessive from someone who supposed to motivate me. But then I was a fool who expected too much. I won't expect too much anymore. I should have known:)

Don't blame Pocket, okay! Pocket has got nothing to do with my decision of closing this blog whatsoever. He has been nice and kind. A big brother through and through:)

So, I'm keeping this blog and not shutting it down.

Hooooraaayyy or Nooooooo....is up to you, dearest.
I can't please everyone:)

Move on to the other news...
The month of November is the month for Orkid's Cafe. I managed to fulfill some requests for postings on certain recipes but I haven't publish some of the dish requested like Petai Bakar from Kak Ashley or Salmon Pocket from Pocket or Mee Kari Papparazzi from Kak Azz. Guess what?

I'm going to shut down Orkid's Cafe for a moment. It will be opened again in 2010. Hopefully, I will be able to write intresting stories the next time I'll re-open Orkid's Cafe. Just be patient, okay!

Here comes my topic of the day...

The clip above is a video of Laura Calder's French Food At Home (click for delicious recipes!) which is my favourite cooking program. Well, actually I like all cooking program in general but this is currently on top of my list.

One good thing about this program is that it focuses on the ingredient and food preparation rather than focusing on Laura Calder as a host. I mean, you can definitely see her cleavage there and then but that was not the main focus.

Look at the way she was kneading the dough.
Or the way she cut the strawberries.
Or the way she was measuring the flour.

That was the focus.

I love the sound of the asparagus when they were cut, the hissing sound of food on the stove. These are the things we should get from a cooking show. If you want to focus on the host, you might as well create a travelling cook show like Bourdain's or Chef Michael Smith.

I dare to say that I was sad to see that our chefs are more focus on the sarong that they were wearing during the show. They focused on the way they sat down on the rocks while cooking. The nagged about how we should take care of our children while their children's faces are plastered on newspapers. They flip and flap their hands while talking - and they look like the octopus they were cooking.

Or perhaps, the purpose of a cooking show is to show off the big house of an artiste who just got married to a rich man.

No disrespect - but the approach is for me old-fashion and boring.

Is it because our chefs love to be exposed?
Or our cameramen are one-dimensional - they can't focus on the food?
Our producers are not making their homework, they didn't even watch Nigella or Jamie, or even Laura in YouTube?

I watched The New Scandinavian Cooking and a show which mentioned the chef's name in his real habitat. I found huge differences. The Scandinavian chefs were not really fluent in English but I managed to understand what they were saying. But the so-called Malaysian Food Ambassador was nagging and babbling until I couldn't pick a word he was saying throughout the show.

I think his Malay cooking show is better:)

A cooking show is just like a blog.

My blog might not be perfect for some of you out there but I have been living with this blog longer than you know. I have been blogging and my style of blogging might not be similar to others but that is just the way I am.

I have all the right to dislike a nagging Malaysian chef.
You have the right to dislike me.

I have the right of not showing my cleavage.
You have the right to ask for the picture which I might not going to show:)

By all means, we all have rights.

Take care.
Fernando is calling his mummy:P

p/s: I'm dropping some blogs off my blog list today.

27 comments:

et said...

yeay~~ kak sha x shutdown blog..suke2..thanx kak sha..syg kak sha ^^

pasal chef malaysia

-> and they look like the octopus they were cooking.


sye gelak guling2 bc ayat nih..hehehe..mmm..terbayang sorg chef ni ble bc ayat2 dlm entry kak sha ni..hak3..

Cik Qemm said...

hoorayy!!
:D

ashley said...

I like to watch Iron Chef!!
he he he
...coz I would like to see which chef can be defeated!
.
.
.
...and that superb chef of "Licence to GRILL".

Pocket said...

Yea! :)
i know u wont close down your blog dik:D
cause u havent got enough of me yet ^^ hahahah
iyer iyer jer kan ...

anyway, people need to eat, and even if the necessity food is available one just cant manage to live all his live just by having bread and grills all his life.

or in malaysia it'll be nasi n ikan goreng all his life...
sometime u steam the fish with halia,
or pouring some pineapple sauce onto the deep fried crispy fish...

so the blackpepper to spice up our life is the cleavage, the chilli and curry powder is the sotong movement.
Some timun cut and chilli cut into flower would be.. the nice house they used as the set in the cooking show.
Dont blame them sha, the director just got bored with the same old nasi lemak, they got creative improvising :D

anyway... u have your own spices sha.
and i'm liking it just the way it is... with the nasi soft and white...
Beras apa pakai?
with the masak lomak daging salai pedas bagai nak tarbakar nii..
heheheheh...
and somehow a piece of pink apam on the side :D

oh oh.. have i mentioned that some of us cant take kelantanese cooking that puts sugar in most of em? well just to say that people have their own taste but let it be.

and...
why is it that i'm one of the people u diss today? Humm hummm ... **

Kujie said...

sha, pengacara program masak tv Malaysia pakai insang ikan kt mata , berat sekilo!

LORD ZARA 札拉 said...

Yeah sis!
I love u!!

Tie said...

Laa... kak tie dulu banyak kali rasa nak tutup blog tu je.. tapi bila ada teman2 datang komen, terus ubah fikiran.

Kita sama je la Sha.. ada kelebihan dan kelemahan. Kita kena terima dan bersikap positif. Itu lah yang buatkan kita terus bersemangat.

Kak tie memang minat rancangan masak2.. melopong dibuatnya terutama chef2 tersohor tu..

manje said...

nape sis nak shutdown blod sis?
herm...
don't ok
kalau tak manje takde tmpt nak menghabiskan masa =)

caluk@cencaluk said...

salam raya, nak tutup blog ke hhmmm.

julietchun said...

kalo nak buat program masak jemputlah org yg sesuai, kekdg dorang jemput artis atau kenamaan yg tak kenal pon dauk kari ngan bunga kantan,huh!!!. dan betul kata sha, cameraman dok fokus tang pakaian pulak.

leadleedeea said...

I choose...


HOOOOOOOORRRAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY~!!!!

hehe~!

~ mizzAmy ~ said...

thanks god kak sha tak tutup blog. pada amy, kak sha have ur own style of blogging. even ur posts kadang-kadang panjang sesangat, amy willing nak baca till the end of story. see, u still have your royal reader. for at least, i might not miss anything. ;)

sueanne said...

glad to know ur decision sha..cayalahhh...thumbs up to you my dear frenz..heeee

hip hip hooorayyyyy!!!..

~Kak AZZ~ said...

haaaa.....camtu la baru rock....!!


hehehe.....

kurang minat masak....masak bila ada mood je.....makan anytime.....kih3

~LP Lum~ said...

gud kak sha... :)
xjd shut down ur blog.. but... yg xgudnye...
biler ar kite nak jumpa n borak2 mcm dlu??? :(

apa pun kak, keep it d gud work 4 ur blog... ;)
sntiasa sokong akak wlaupun d mna jua sy n akak berada... :)

CuTeMiUt78 said...

clap..clap.. to sha.. coz choose not to close this blog... hooorayyyyy

N A N I E said...

Great decision dear..:)

Hoooooorrraaayyyy!

LotsOfLove-Pearls said...

Dear Sha,
LOL nak 'type' Hooooooooooooray..
keep bloggin..

we with ya dear....

ashie023 said...

oh..hengat si pocket yang buek kan ko nak berhenti..kekeke..

who is fernando?

LiNda said...

fuhh ! legaaaaa....

Ili Saharudin said...

i nearly cried when u wrote about shutting ur blog btw, nasib baik akak ambik keputusan nak teruskan..kalau tak, maybe ili jugak akan tutup blog ili~hehehe..i got my version of story..tp nanti la ek.

miss ya~

Erna said...

salam sha..dah tentu sha tak shut down kan..acik baru nk mula dan tengah seronok baca sebab sha tulis BI...dapat juga bacekan...dan alhamdulillah..memahaminya...tak terlewatkan...acik paling minat program masakan ni..selalu juga dicuba..yang bestnya en.abg acik pun rajin salin resepi kat rancangan tv tu..begitu juga kat blog kan..banyak blog yang ade tulis resepi dan banyak jugak yang acik dah cuba..

sya said...

sha...
jujurnya, tak banyak blog yang sya datang hari2..
dan, tak banyak blog yang sya suka, suka, suka sangat baca..
tapi, blog ni...
hmmm...

hehehe..
jangan tutup blog ye sha..
happy nyaaa... !

a.z.r.i.n.a.03.07 said...

keep on blogging ..keep on blogging...keep on blogging (ikut mcam dory ckp @ finding nemo)..

thats my gurl..

a kl citizen said...

assalammualaikum sha...

good for u...

i don't like cooking....
so i seldom watch all the cooking shows...

got the email...
tgh cari masa utk pos...

Fatt Chin Choy said...

aku suka gak rancangan masakan kat astro tu

yg perempuan tu, scandinavian, naked chef dengan satu lagi chef rambut panjang tu

sempoi je rancangan diorang kan

iza~de~bintang said...

Haha tak jadi tutup... hip hip horaay.

Iza jarang tengok rancangan masakan... dah lah tak pandai masak, malanglah nasib incik arjuna nanti huhuhu.

Betoi tu kita tak mampu nak suka semua orang, dan bukan semua orang suka kita. Fakta, bukan auta :)