Thursday, March 18, 2010

sha: the book or the flower?

When a guy called me to say that he read The Lucky One, I felt very happy to talk about the book. Not all guys read books like girls, you see. Some guys love technicality; they tend to spend more time on practical than theory. So, yes...I took the great opportunity to discuss the book I loved with him and I enjoyed the discussion (I really hope that he is reading this posting!)

I made a posting about The Lucky One few months ago. The book is nice, considering it is about pursuing a goal which is nearly impossible. Furthermore, the book is also about love and family; which makes it perfect for me to read. I just love to have one thing all stories at the same time. It makes me look into myself more - especially when I'm feeling unlucky.

I just bought a new interesting book by Nicholas Sparks entitled Dear John (see the picture!) when he gave me another phone call and said that his ex-girlfriend bought the book, read it and suddenly remember him. And she called him just to tell him about it! I was shocked; considering that they have been separated for quite sometimes and their journeys were going to two separate direction. There was a tiny chance of reconciliation, if I believe things correctly.

I found it amusing - knowing that they haven't contacted each other. When you recall someone because of a song or a place you used to visit - it's kind of normal. But a book? Hmmmm....

Let's go down the memory lane, shall we? Have I ever think about someone when I'm reading a book?

Yes, there was.

I recall the time when I cried alone in the hospital reading Chicken Soup for the Soul for Mothers and Daughters.

But I rarely being influence by the book I read. Non-fiction - perhaps. Fiction? Well, there is a fantasy and reality. I am using books as a tool to release stress. By reading a book, I will separate myself from the reality for a while before continuing my chores. Guess what? Recently I have been reading a lot because I have tonnes of office work to do.

So, tell me folks. Do you think the story of a fresh grad executive whom automatically climb the career ladder without any experience whatsoever amaze me? Shall I be dreamy about having a handsome boss who eventually put an interest in me? Or...a story about an extraordinary Malaysian Cinderella?

As much as I want to separate the reality and fantasy - I have to extend my knowledge as well.

Sad to say, several Alaf 21 novel failed me.

Typical love stories with unrealistic facts. I agree that English novels can be stupid too, but don't you think that the anything-can-happen-in-a-book should teach us something too?

12 comments:

ashie023 said...

ahahha...Sha..
x ske ke alaf 21..
well..ambe rasa xde fail lah sgt buku2 dorang, tp kebiasaan nye memanglah sterotaip bebeno ..hehe..cam drama melayu lah...kebiasaan kalu hero x jadik manager CEO atau org kaya, memang x sah...ahaha..well..mak mak datin nye cite..yeah typical malay love stories..

...tp dalam tipikal tuh ,kekadang kita blajar something gak kan..

*oh Nicholas Sparks , Dear John..buku baru ke ni??

mier@merr said...

sy suke je alaf21..
xde la stereotaip sgt..

but..like kak sha said.. juz several book from alaf21... not every book...

ps : sis...knal sy lg tak?huhu

N A N I E said...

My highest priority is Author..and second baru publisher..sebab kekadang Author yang ai minat tu ade numerous Publisher..:)

aBoi said...

saya suka Ramlee Awang Murshid..
we'll learn something when we've read his books..

~0~ said...

Novel ku jarang baca...kalo baca pun RAM punye..

~LP Lum~ said...

salam kak sha~

hehehe... igtkan sy sorg aje yg xsuka alaf21... :)
sy lebih suka cretive publishing... :)

apa pun, kak xmo g book fair ke nnti?? :p

dotblogspotdotkom said...

dolu.... baca juga novel pasal percintaan ...tp bila dah banyak baca tu... lelama rasa sama je ending cite

lama2 dah mls nak baca cite cinta nih... lagi pun dah memang tak minat membaca... muwakakakaka...

hasni said...

novel alaf 21 sm sj pointnye
jln cerita ampir sm
huhu

Miss ... said...

dah x bc novel..kaber cantik cerita ampeh..tajuk gempak isi nothing..x semua tp kebanyakkan :)

Yunus Badawi said...

Dah lama tak baca novel alaf 21. Dulu tumpang baca novel emak Adam hehehe

Dee said...

i beli keluaran alaf 21..tp skrg more to motivational books..books that inspired people like me..hahaha..

~Kak AZZ~ said...

Akak suka novel dari penulis yg dah jadi sasterawan negara... Sbb novel dorang susunan ayatnya sangat teratur...

Alaf 21 baru ada 3/4 novel je...

Anak sedara akak yg suka baca novel dari alaf 21 ni.... melambak2 novel dia.... Tak minat lak akak nak pinjam baca... hehe...