Friday, September 16, 2011

orkid's cafe: brussel sprout goreng ikan masin

Sprouts_Raw_IMG_9220 by foodopera
Sprouts_Raw_IMG_9220, a photo by foodopera on Flickr.
"Brussel Sprouts have an undeserved reputation as one of the most unlikeable vegetables. This likely stems from an unpleasant sulfer smell that results when they are overcooked."
- Farmanac from flickr (the photo owner)


It was quite difficult to get fresh vegetables during Hari Raya. The price was quite high and places like Tesco or Giant only sold what I called a mainstream vegetable; the ones which were nice to have but not really a must have. Carrots, for example was something which was not that special during Hari Raya, considering that it had lesser importance compared to long beans or cucumbers.

As I have mentioned earlier, this canivorous season was part of our tradition. Nevertheless, it was also important for us to get some vegetables. Guess what happened to me after the series of unfortunate event with Miss Diarrhoea?

I couldn't eat vegetables. Why? Because vege got fibre and it made throwing the content of my stomach easier than I have ever thought.

In contrast to the unfruitful effort of finding vegetable at Pasar Besar Seremban on the second day of raya, I managed to get some of my favourite stuff in Tesco days afterwards. One of the things that I bought was brussel sprout.

Brussel sprout - something uncommon and not really tasty to everyone. A vege which was imported and not cultivated in our country. Check out your Facebook - you might realised that there were favourite pages for vegetables. Brussel sprout had lesser fans compared to other vege like carrots or even cabbage or broccoli - which were part of brussel sprout's family.

But I don't care. I'm a fan.

Even though brussel sprout had no greater place than petai (which is my most favourite), it still had the place in my heart. It was also not surprising that whenever I encountered brussel sprout in the market, I would still buy it. This was regardless the taste which was not everyone's favourite or the looks which was just a handful.

Why?

Brussels sprouts, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anticancer properties. Although boiling reduces the level of the anticancer compounds, steaming, microwaving, and stir frying does not result in significant loss. Brussels sprouts and other brassicas are also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.
- wikipedia

That was the main reason. We don't need something beautiful to cure us, we just need something useful. People always quoted, "don't judge a book by its cover." I said, "don't judge a vege by its taste." Sometimes our taste bud might betray our health.

Today, in the spirit of Malaysia Day, I want to cook Brussel Sprout Goreng Ikan Masin. The recipe? Aaaaaahhh...I won't give you. If you know how to make Kailan Goreng Ikan Masin and you can find nice brussel sprout, you'll know how to cook this recipe.

Yes, you might say that I was less patriotic. You are wrong.

We take things as they are but we also must remember that there are times when when we see something good in other country and bring it home and make it happen. Well, those were not my words, folks. Those were the words that I heard in the documentary that I watched this morning about KLCC.

I made Brussel Sprout Goreng Ikan Masin, as ridiculous as it sounds, a succes today. Proudly called it a fusion. Hehehe....

Thanks Malaysia...

...for providing education to your children which enable me to...

...watch tv, go to the bookstores, and learn, learn, learn, learn many things.

Even the tiniest thing like brussel sprout.

You make it happen.

Terima Kasih Malaysia!

Sha: I am a brussel sprout:P

1 comment:

Adila said...

i panggil it kobis kecik AHAHAHAHAH!!!
I love it! the bitterness of the taste
it's brilliant when added in with pasta and creamy mushroom sauce
YUMMMMM!!!!

p/s: another reason I love it is I don't really need to cut it into small piece when cooking haha
potong dua dah cukup heeeeeeeeeee~