Saturday, January 07, 2012

sweet love

Sweet Love


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"An irresistibly delicious novel about the power of love …and dessert. Like other well-meaning mothers, Julie Mueller believed she did the right thing when she secretly ended her teenage daughter's crush on Michael Slayton, a wild older neighborhood heartthrob with a penchant for Shakespeare and the pedigree of trailer trash.

Twenty years later, Betty Mueller has come to realize that was a big mistake. Her daughter Julie - divorced and raising a teenage daughter alone - is a workaholic obsessed with her career. And Michael, the one man who could make her happy, is the one man to whom she won't speak.

Now dying and determined to make amends, Betty stages her last great feat of motherhood by reuniting the couple in a dessert class where she hopes the sweetness of a chocolate almond Torta Caprese will erase the bitterness of a wretched misunderstanding.

Sweet love, renew thy force; be it not said thy edge should blunter be than appetite, Shakespeare once pleaded though it will require more than poetry and passion fruit for Julie and Michael to renew their love.

It will, in fact, require the sweetest sacrifice of all."

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I love you for a thousand more
-A Thousand Years by Christina Perri

For some reason, reading this book makes me hum. I don't really remember the lyrics for A Thousand Years by Christina Perri but reading this book has made it possible. Plus, I strongly believe that the song and the book are really synchronise; knowing that this book is not just about food but also about a long lost love.

Imagine having a crush since you were small and you kind of hanging on that crush for quite sometime but eventually your fate is to marry somebody else. So, if that is your story, then you should buy this book. If you're still clinging to old memories and you feel that one day you'll meet your true love, so be it. Let's read the book together, shall we?

I don't know about how things can be co-incidental or ironic. This book, regardless the spoilers which I have read before this, has made quite an impact on me. I mean, my mum is not the type of person who cooks great desserts. But I know for sure that this book is a comfort after a car accident that I went through few days ago. My mum was with me in the accident and I'm appreciating her more after these days. I can't even think of a day without her.

This afternoon, I watched Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna; a love story which shows that love relates with time. I read this book during the commercial and currently shaking my head for some element of similarities.

Okay, let's be objective: this book is supposedly a cliche. Something which has all the normal elements of love stories. But the thing which differentiates good and bad authors are the research on things which they are going to write (in this book, it shows how literature can be romantic and desserts are not really for the diabetic).

A dessert book which makes you drool but at the same time teaching you that food brings people together:)

I might sound bias but when an author reads before she writes, the book will make you cry. I'm giving 5 stars for the effort and maturity shown in this book and I'm seeking for more of Sarah Strohmeyer's book after this.

And guess what? This book is my first book of 2012!

View all my reviews

No comments: