Sunday, November 11, 2012

nasi lemak si gordon ramsay

Diversity
Diversity - from my flickr

Weekend. Hmmmm...

I used to spend my weekend in the office, actually. When I was young (as if 30 is old), I had to climb the career ladder the hard way. No, I had no regret in that. Spending weekends in the office was part of the requirement to fulfil the task given. I knew that in certain circumstances, my parents were not happy when I could not joined the family outing or the wedding or which ever family activities but they have been very supportive and I was grateful for that.

Frankly, I am still the same old Sha who spends quite number of hours at work. However, things have changed. If you have built a good foundation on what you should be doing later, it would not be hell all the way. Aye, I used to say that work is exhausting but not any more. I am not going to lie to you saying that I don't have any thing to do any more (well, that is not true), but at least things are better now since the tonnes of work and the experience before built the maturity and something we called time management :)

Weekend. Hmmm...

I read somewhere mentioning that weekend is empty. I beg to differ on that. My weekend is always full. Besides the family activities, I have hobbies. These hobbies eventually will teach me something out of it and today my hobby is teaching me about....

I believe most of you know how much I love books. I have this habit of reading three to four books at one time. Aye, sometimes it gets confusing and time consuming. Nevertheless, because this is my habit for years; it seems acceptable and eventually became one of my needs. I am a firm believer of reading different books in different genres all at the same time will make me relax.  I don't have push for one story to end; I just have to go through several flows all at the same time. Some books have pictures and some not. Some are serious and some are funny. Some are realistic and some are imaginary.

So this was my chaise lounge this morning:

Gordon Ramsay's Nasi Lemak
Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape Southeast Asia

There is a show which has not been shown in Malaysia yet but it is available online. It is a video of a proud and hellish man by the name of Gordon Ramsay who came to our country and cooked nasi lemak. Being a Malaysian, I applaud him for the effort of learning.

His learning process was not easy. When he came to the country and ate his first nasi lemak, he was served with 30-40 side dishes. He had also learned about Beef Rendang (and it was a Negeri Sembilan rendang from my favourite cafe called Aunty Aini's Cafe), Chicken Kapitan, Prawn Sambal and even Roti Babi :)

He was not as perfect as everyone thought. He was not as ill-mannered as we thought.

Besides learning which coconut milk to use, he met the aunties of Malaysia whom we all knew were very talkative and fussy. He also learned about a rice cooker. It was such a fascinating experience for me because I watched the video and then bought the book and ultimately; read his book. 

But what amazed me about this whole journey that he had was when he said:

My father invited me for breakfast this morning and it was difficult to say no. I personally tried to resist nasi lemak as that was not a meal I was supposed to eat when I was battling against weight gain. But he was my father. He was the person I should spend my time with. If I came up with an excuse, it would made me ignorant of the fact that time was running out. We would never know how much time we have with our loved ones.

Sunday was not a working day any way.

Besides, what would be a better time to learn from the elderly?
Well, once in a while we should know how to listen as well, don't you think?

As I gulped my Susu Halia this morning, I listened. And I learned.
Seremban Prison history should be okay too:)

p/s: Happy birthday to fellow blogger Remy Hazza - your culinary adventure amazes me, my dear. Keep up the good work! This post is specially dedicated to you:)

27 comments:

Encik H said...

copp!!

4feet8 said...

sibuk je H ni. dahla muka macam tomok..hehe

Nizam.Ariff said...

susu+halia?

bagaimanalah rasanya tu.... hahah

Encik H said...

ohoo..this post dedicated to him..xpe la nak komen jugak..

susah nak cari nasi lemak yg sedap..sebab kesedapan nasi lemak tu pada sambal..kebanyakan sambal tumis skg ni cair and berminyak..jarang jumpa sambal yg likat dan sedap..

LauraLeia said...

Have I mentioned that I love your posts? They're really meaningful and full of personal insights, so it's like listening to a friend telling me about their day. :D Thank you so much for sharing your stories.

P/S: How's the JK Rowling book? I am dying to go to bookstore and grabbing one for myself soon! I'm the type to stick with a single book until the end before starting a new one though, haha. XD

Remy hazza said...

thanks sis.... really appreciated.... speechless nak komen..... it's hard to tell you.......but remy enjoy reading your word.......

suka tgk sha enjoy reading.....teringat masa remaja dulu2 yg remy suka sangat membaca....tapi sekarang masa tak byk yg ada.....

remy boleh blanja sha nasi lemak lah camnie...... tapi kat untie ani's takde....... ( untie anis garden cafe kat nilai tu ker ? ) he3...

hainom OKje said...

Sha.... Okje kalau makan nasi lemak, tak suka yang dah siap bungkus cam tu..... OKje suka yang boleh pilih macam-macam tu.... baru puas.... he...he... terukkan!

Teringat nasi lemak kat Umbai Melaka....

4feet8 said...

Susu Halia? sedap ke..? betul tu, hargai masa semasa mereka masih ada.. take care sha..

Sharian Zamrinor said...

Yup...nasik lemak...at babu.. it would be a perfect day just to sit there enjoying teh tarik and nasik lemak plus telur setengah masak...and that F word chef...i found it amusing when he gets all sweaty during his learning process..

baby comel said...

Chef Gordon Ramsay -yeah! Like
~breakfast nasi leamk with my daddy owh sweet moment.. moga masih ada hari esok utk kita,

Lady Windsor said...

Hi Sha,
sorry..long time no visit u here..life damn busy even during weekend.
What is that susu halia? Sound interesting and i wanna try it..how?

I totally agree what Ramsay said..

Hmm u are lucky because your family is still there for and to be with you. As for me, i have to support myself, give some spirit to others surround me and must always think +ve because no one will be with me when i suddenly wake up in between midnite. But..i feel grateful because most of my blogger friends give me fully support..and most important thing is HE is always with me..

Thanks Sha..lets plan something and its definitely coffee..i free after 28 nov..shall we?

norhidana said...

gordon ramsay, baru jmpa ngn dia mlm td kt rancangan masterchef us... admired cara dia... n akak suke tgk dia both kt hell kitchen ngn masterchef us... perwatakan dia mcm2 tp dia seorang chef yg sgt berjaya n siap dpt bintang Michelin kn...
bangga gk sbb omputih pun nk belajar bt ns lemak...

akak tak penah try lg susu halia heheh tp boleh buang angin gk kot cam air halia biasa heheh

SURIA AMANDA said...

zaman skrg nasi lomak x macam omak kito buek dulu...apo x eh...warga asing yg buek..nak2 peniaga2 indon...ada kureng la di situ...

~ Cik Azz ~ said...

Teringat nasi lemak jiran akak.. Makcik ni punya nasi lemak mmg sedap.. Betul2 pure punya... Dia letak halia dalam nasi lemak tu utk buang angin..

Sayangnya, makcik tu dah lama meninggal.. al-fatihah... Tapi sampai sekarang masih teringat2 akan nasi lemak arwah..

Nasi lemak sekarang? Nan hado.... huhu.. Kat sini laa...

MAY said...

like nasik lemak..hoho..sbb tu kot brt naik 2kg lbh last month..huhu..eh?nasik lemak singgit kat kg baru sedap tau...mlm je die jual...deat blkg rest. markesh tuh.

Rapunzeel Cikilolo said...

aih. tengok gamba tu rasa nak nasik lemak la pulak :)

Rai Ourkizuna said...

kak sha,
bagi saya yang paling susah nak buat adalah sambalnya..still tak berjaya nak imitate my mom punya sambal ikan bilis..dan saya lebih suka normal nasi lemak tanpa side dish yang lain..

the perfect nasi lemak should be serve dalam daun pisang kan..

i'm wondering..macam mana agaknya rasa susu halia.. cant imagine..

Len Inouie said...

True..never ending learning process.

Susu halia?
Hmm... i loike...

Kesuma Angsana said...

aduhai nak berweekend di office is a no no no for KA lah hehehe

fiza said...

Tgk nasi lemak tu rasa mcm nak mkn nasi lemak plak...haishhhhh...Susah lah nak cari nasi lemat yg menepati citarasa tokak ni ha.

Susu + halia...sedap ker sha?

wantie said...

Selalu masak nasi lemak utk keluarga. Then untuk serve kat dorang akak bungkus. Kemain suka lgi. Weekend baru boleh buat.

adoyai.. 2-3 buku dalam satu masa. kalau akak mau pening nak ingat cerita yg mana satu.

Glamer gak si Remy Hazza ni. nak terjah blog dia la.

Jna marcello said...

WE DRAWWWWW~!! (still in fuball mood)

Kak Sha up tap sikit..sama laa dgn Na..kira Na ni myb lagi terok coz Office rumah no1 skrng..klau Office bole tdo..Sure da menginap jee kat cni hihihi

NASI LEMAK!!
Kak Sha nty na pg sna (seremban)
bole laa bawa nk try mkn kat Aunty Aini's Cafe weeeee

Hpy burfdayyyyyy to you Remay Hazza
Have great day!!

Cik Nurul Siezuka said...

Nasi lemak tak kiralah yg dah bungkus atau yg boleh pilih.. semuanya sedap2 bg nurul.. ;)

si robot comel said...

Susu halia sedap ke? Kita suka nasi lemak daun pisang,baunya sedap :)

kalau akak singgah Chowrasta tu,kedai tu dekat tingkat dua tau :)

atty's said...

pagi semalam kty termakan nasi lemak..tak tahan godaan.lepas makan menyesallll sggggtttt..

Aya Yus said...

Gordon ramsay... saya suka sungguh kat dia, walaupun dia cengil.. hahaha..

LydSunshine said...

Pasal keja on weekend tu xmo komen la. Lain org, lain la tggungjawab dia kan. Tp psl nasi lemak gordon tu, lepas ni bru nk tgk video tu.

Sha, normal eh kalo dlm satu masa baca beberapa buku? Slama ni saya ada gak buat gitu tp sy slalu rasa pbuatan tu tak normal. So, sy akan habiskan satu-demi-satu buku. Perasaan sy mcm makan tak habis lg pastu nk g mkn mknn lain. Tp kalo ada geng yg buat mcm tu, bleh la buat gak. *tak yakin diri sndiri kan sy ni? Keke*

Susu halia. Ahaaa. Ini la yg sha ckp tu kan? Ada cmpur madu tak?